In the thirteenth year of Tongzhi in the Qing Dynasty (1874), Japan used the excuse of Ryukyu fishermen to drift to Manzhou Township in Pingtung and were killed by the local aborigines. They sent troops to invade Taiwan (known as the Peony Incident in history). The Qing government sent Shen Baozhen to Taiwan to prepare defense affairs and sent representatives to negotiate with Japan withdraw troops. On the other hand, the defense is actively strengthened. In view of the consolidation of Anping’s coast defense and protection of Taiwan’s capital city, the construction of forts was requested. It was built with bricks and western-style red bricks from Fort Zeelandia, surrounded by river moats and filled with sea water, about ten chis wide and deep than 2 meters. On gate for entry, heading southeast.
It was completed in the second year of Guangxu in the Qing Dynasty (1876). It was not only Taiwan's first modern western-style fort, but also equipped with five British Armstrong 18-ton front-bore cannons. The original two-foot-thick sanhe soil house under the gun position was used as a gun room and a warehouse. At the beginning of the twentieth century, the cannon was destroyed and sold, the wooden bridge collapsed, the fort cave was closed with bricks, and a dilapidated landscape. In 1964, on the 100th anniversary of the fort, the Tainan City Government rebuilt and imitated cannons and small cannons on a large scale.